Gibson GA-40 Amplifier Details
- Make: Gibson
- Model: GA-40 “Les Paul Model” Amp
- Year: 1953
- Configuration: 14 watt 1 x 12″ combo amp with tremolo
- Power Transformer: original, part number GA-40P stamped housing
- Output Transformer: 285316, 16th week of 1953
- Jensen P12Q Speaker: 220249, 49th week of 1952
- Tubes: full set of original RCA tubes
- Accessories: original hardwired foot switch
“Les Paul Model” Amplifier
The Gibson catalog describes the GA-40 Amp as “the popular Les Paul Model amplifier with built-in variable vibrato“. Produced in 1953, this two-tone GA-40 features a 12” Jensen Concert speaker, 3 speed adjustable tremolo, 14 watt output, and a hardwired foot switch. The Jensen speaker and all of the transformers are original to the amplifier with date code stamps from late 1952 and early 1953. The original smoked glass RCA tubes have remained in the amplifier.
All the necessary maintenance and service work has been done to make this vintage Gibson amp safe, reliable, and toneful. Franklin Pratt Leather handmade a custom reproduction of the original leather handle which had become torn. Our amp tech added a grounded 3 prong plug, replaced a few capacitors and ran a new wire to the original foot switch. Now the tremolo circuit actually works and this Les Paul amp sounds great with just the right amount of power for the cabinet size. It would pair perfectly with your vintage Goldtop Les Paul or period Gibson ES hollowbody guitar.